Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012, 1 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi Everyone

Another busy week of work over and done with, now looking forward to some time at home and as always in the garden.

My plans in the garden is to try out the Condys Crystals on some of my broms, I also have about 12 new broms to pot up as well as some new vegetable seedling to plant out into my veggie patch and I also need to take some cuttings of some of my herbs to give to a friend who wants to start a herb garden.

No rain happening here, the winds are keeping it well away which is a bit of a bugger.

Thanks everyone for the nice remarks regarding the orchids, I have passed feedback to my hubby who has been growing them successfully for a couple of years now, he gets a great deal of joy and feedback of the ones he has in our nursery. I am amazed at how quickly the flower spikes appear on some of them and how long the spikes are as well as how long the flowers last. I usually take one to work to pop of my desk and swap them with something else each week so they don’t miss out on any feeding etc. My hubbys a changed man since he started collecting them, it's like no matter how bad a day he has had at work they just relax him, likewise as my brommies do for me.

Hi Nev, luv all of your random Neo pics, they are all fantastic looking broms with amazing colors and I want them all, spoken like a try bromaholic lol. Thanks for the great info regarding the brom vases; I normally flush the centres out fortnightly when I see the vases getting too dirty which they do because none of my neo’s are under protective cover. Normally I try to only to flush out the one’s that really need it, in other words the one’s I can’t stand seeing so dirty, I know the dust, leaf matter etc. does not harm them but seeing them so dirty really annoys me because it takes away from seeing their beauty and makes me feel like I am not looking after them properly. I have always wanted a house keeper to clean my house once a fortnight but have never got one, maybe I need a housekeeper for my broms given I am so fussy hehehe.

Nev, sorry I tortured you with the Orchids, let us know if you ever get back into them and I will put you in touch with my hubby who is definitely an Orchidaholic lol. He’s collecting some really nice ones that totally blow me away when I see the flowers for the first time. He is doing a fantastic job looking after them and they are rewarding him with great growth and lots of flowers.

Hi Bree, just saw all the Neo pics you posted – wow they are amazing, great color in all of them, treasure chest is so very divine.

Hi Sue, thanks for nice comments regarding our orchid and broms, I missed seeing pics from you this time as I always luv seeing what you have posted.

Hi Wendy, hope the move goes well for your Son on Saturday. Rain has a tendency of appearing out of nowhere when your moving house, you wake up to beautiful blue skies, not a cloud in sight and then an hour down the road and the rain comes bucketing down, why is that lol.

Hi Shirley, great pics of Neo Hot Blooded, I have my hubby on the internet looking for one as I really luv the strong color that takes over the whole plant like how blood rushes to your checks when you get embarrassed, the name suits this Neo very well indeed.

Anyway better get going, catch up with you all next time.

Happy Gardening!

Pic 1: Vr. Elysian Kandy
Pic 2: Neo Fairy Paint x Chloriostica
Pic 3: Neo President Red
Pic 4 Ae. Correia Araujoi (did I get this one’s name right?)
Pic 5: Vr. Gulz x Red Chestnut