Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Brugmansia springtime #1, 1 by cestrum_SEQ

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cestrum_SEQ

In reply to: Brugmansia springtime #1

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Brugmansia springtime #1
cestrum_SEQ wrote:
I look forward to seeing your coldie bloom, Shaun. Can't grow them here so the only way I can see them is online.

I agree with you about watering the brugs with a soaker hose. One thing I wouldn't do again is plant my brugs in pots (not once they're past the delicate seedling stage). This makes sense in cold climes where they have to be dug up each autumn but here, where they stay outside year round, it's a real chore to keep them watered. Although they send roots into the ground thru the drainage holes, they still can't get as much water (from the hose or rain) as they would if they were planted directly in the ground. Plus, you really have to aim the hose at each pot (pot after pot after pot) because of the limited root access to the soil. I've just had an overgrown area cleared and I'll be transplanting most of these bucket-grown unflowered seedlings straight into the ground with mulch on top and a soaker hose running down the centre. Time to simplify, I reckon.

Here's JxB showing an old and a fresh bloom.