Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012, 1 by works4me

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices & addicts, October 2012
works4me wrote:
Hi all, how hot was it in Brissie yesterday and it’s only early October. The hot westerly wind made it very dusty and unpleasant. Today was much better, it even looked like rain but that didn’t happen, everything is so dry.

Sue, yes I was talking about cutting the flower spike off my foliage vrieseas. I can’t wait to remove my first vriesea pups and hopefully there will be lots of them. Not sure where I’ll put them as the shadehouse is quite squeezy now and I think the extension might be a way off yet. I love your bill Alan Ladd, it’s really spectacular, one more for the wish list.

Trish, love the vrieseas in your pics and your neo Grace Good Girl, it looks very similar to one I got recently named neo Red River ...very nice. As for the vrieseas, I have only one with pups at present, vr Erotica and it has two so far. I only cut the flower spike off maybe 3 weeks ago so time will tell.

How often would you spray with the 50/50 metho and water solution, Trish. I guess it doesn’t harm the broms or you wouldn’t be using it but I am always a bit wary of damaging the foliage with sprays. Do you rinse out the cups afterwards.

I read somewhere of something that kills mozzie larvae in brom cups but I can’t remember what it was. I usually give the cups a good flush out about once a week during summer, not sure how effective it is. Does anyone know of a more effective mozzie treatment.

Nev, lucky you to get good rain. Those are very nice Bills in your pics, so much colour. How is your knee, I hope it is not restricting your bromming too much.

Tash, good to hear from you. Hope all is going well in your neck of the woods. Do you have a problem with mosquitos, I hear there are some pretty mean ones that far north.

Wendy, glad your sale went so well, wish we could have made it over there. Anyway, we’ll see you soon.

Ian, neo Macho is one of my favourites. I love the teeth and the colour.

Hi to everyone else.

Pic is neo Red River pup, bye for now.

Shirley