Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Viburnum - "Winterthur" and "Black Haw" - where to plant?, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Viburnum - "Winterthur" and "Black Haw" - where to plant?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Viburnum - "Winterthur" and "Black Haw" - where to plant?
DonnaMack wrote:
Really good reading, Viburnum Valley. I remember wondering whether I needed to deadhead the flowers on all of my viburnums when they were first installed. When I asked an expert and he said no, I was thrilled. I had a lot of viburnums.

I have pictures of my prunifolium in full bloom on May 27, 2011, but I think that may have been unusual. 2012 certainly was. I saw all kinds of bizarre variances last year.

And conditions can be atypical in a single year. I believe you pointed this out to me on a thread years ago. I had five huge viburnum plicatum tomentosum "Lanarth". Until a single winter wiped them all out. They were supposedly zone 5a hardy. After a good cry, I adopted my philosophy that a loss represents an opportunity to try something different and new. Enormous zone 4 roses. A single Constance Spry, which had been too large to place in my garden before.This is where two of them were situated.

There is nothing like viburnums, but it gave me considerable solace.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 6:52 AM