Clematis: Advice Needed on Planting New Clematis, 1 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Advice Needed on Planting New Clematis

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Advice Needed on Planting New Clematis
pirl wrote:
Looks like I have some investigating to do and some collages to make. I'll do my best and probably reply in full tomorrow.

I wouldn't plant the peony close to the clem's. You'd injure either the clem roots or the roots of the peonies if you were to dig there in the future.

My vote is for Kiri with the Japanese maple and the other plants you mentioned. In the end it is your garden so you get to make the choice.

If you plant the Polish Spirit and then the Jackmanii's take off you'd have different shades of purple. If that's what you want then do it.

Niobe would go well with Patricia Ann Fretwell. See what you think. I have Patricia with Ernest Markham and they make a nice couple. Before you think I have the wrong photo in the upper right hand corner, it really is Patricia Ann Fretwell but it was blooming this year as you see it. The truer pink version photo is by victorgardener.

No clematis for the euonymus is the right thought. The pruning there is definitely the issue. My thought is clem's do better on plants like Tardiva hydrangea or Limelight hydrangea but even they might need pruning at some time. I've now lost too many clem's to various shrubs so I won't be doing that again. Dwarf Alberta Spruce and Hinoki cypress do not agree with clem's in this garden. Maybe someone else has better results but it was bad news for all the clem's I planted with either of them.

Gravetye Beauty is such a nice red. It would show up well with a white background like a house or a trellis.

I'll return tomorrow with my thoughts regarding the clem's you mentioned in your second paragraph.