Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Amaryllis in garden, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Amaryllis in garden

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Amaryllis in garden
Gitagal wrote:
Well, Sally---You have asked the $64,000 question.

--There is so much different advice on how to care for Amaryllis.
--How to grow/care for it during summer
--When to bring it in to start going dormant
--HOW to do the dormancy--keep in pot or remove bulbs and let dry?

I have always followed Allan Summers advice. But that may be dated by now and just HIS opinions.
He always said to bring the pots in well ahead of the bloom time and let the pots go dry in a cool basement.
The leaves will yellow quickly and fall off.
Then you trim back the neck of the bulb to a nice level cut and keep watching for a flower bud to start emerging.
Then you water and bring it up to a warm room and good light and start watering it.
That is according to Allan.

Now--I also have an old (1996) Jack Eden Calendar--called "Jack Eden's Garden Guide".
I also remember reading his advice (don't remember it now) and adding that to my knowledge base.

There is a 2 page spread on Amaryllis care.
I tried twice, just now, to take photos of the pages to post here, but they were not too readable--
and the light from my lamp caused a lot of glare on the pages. Should copy them and mail them to you.

So--I decided to Google him. Seems he has passed away. Don't know when...There was a note of January-but no year.
Seems he also had a book out on "Jack Eden's four Season Garden Guide" .
Amazon came up in the links. Good grief!!!! This book, in good used condition is selling for $180-$300!!!
Wonder how much my calendar is worth??? It is in absolutely New condition....

Jill seems to have amazing Amaryllis all the time. I know she plants them in the ground and lets them grow lush
throughout the summer. Then digs them up, rests them and pots them up in time for the blooms during the Holidays.
I do wonder how often she buys new bulbs????

I have never had much luck with Amaryllis. My bulbs are all VERY old! Old enough that I bought a few and
potted a bunch in one big pot when I was still listening to Allan Summers on the radio. How many years ago is that???

I always blame myself for not feeding and watering them enough during the summer. Been trying to be better at it.
They have really good leaf growth on them. I also totally repotted them last year.
The 5 pots I have by now are growing well--have grown offshoots--and I think it would be time to take them in and let them start
their dormancy. I may be a bit late already for that....mine always end up blooming in February or March because of it.

SO! Long story short--I cannot offer you any good advice on this topic. Just talked a lot! THAT I am good at!

You may want to check out "Jack Eden's Garden Guide" and see if it is in your Library.
The calendar is published and distributed by Login Publishers Consortium.
Original copyright is for 1991. He has the address listed as well:

PO Box 265
Arnold, MD 21012

The picture in the back of the calendar should come out OK.

Happy gardening, friend!!! Gita