Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012
weed_woman wrote:
good morning all.
Nice and early today, although I will probably go back to sleep after.
Karen, I am glad you found your useful tools. I am in Bunnings at least once a week (three times this week) and mostly in the garden/nursery section. I wish I had a home for all the lovely plants I see there. I do, on occasion, buy those blue ten packs of annuals, and make up a pot of colour. They are very good value, at less than a dollar a plant, and are usually well advanced.
The book sounds like a very nice gesture. I am not familiar with the Writer, but have heard of him, so no doubt a winner. I am sure your Uncle will appreciate the thought that went into it. I love those crocheted hand towels! An elderly lady I gardened for used to make me several every xmas. I still have a few left, but as she passed away earlier this year, i will have to purchase them from now on.
Your NOID Neo looks very similar to one I have. It is strappy and green if grown in the shade, and flushes red at flowering, but in the sun is quite dark red, with spots, and is a bit bigger than fireball and thicker leaved. It also has long stolons like fireball. I posted this picture a few back, but here, I've used it as a border. I wonder if they are the same?
How was your lunch with Barry? Did you go anywhere nice?
Ian, some nice plants there again. Could number two be A. chantinii?
Bree, sorry you didn't get to the orchid show. How is your orchid collection going? You must have a few flowering now?
The one you think might be spots and dots, does look similar. I couldn't really be sure. Also your first NOID looks very close to a Mini Neo I have. I will check to see if mine is labelled later this morning.
Well, the turf was laid yesterday, so a bit of watering to do today and some work in the brom gardens. hubby may pick up some mulch hay for me today, to put around the bananas, and other than mowing, I am quite on top of it all. Whew! Its been an effort. I really don't expect to win, as the judges are apparently, very fussy. We have a couple of areas where hubby likes to stack and store stuff. I turn a blind eye, but they might not? Too bad. The best part for me, is the chance that I might get some visitors through for a look, and thats always a nice thing.
Anyway, heres that pic again Karen, with the NOID border. (i think it might be a fireball x olens)
The second pic is a tibouchina tree with a few minis tied to it, and behind is the Eupatorium bushes.
Third pic is a wheelbarrow of succulents
fourth pic is Aechmea pineliana in flower
Happy gardening weekend everyone.
Sue