Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012, 1 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of bromeliads for novices and addicts, sep, 2012
ianperry wrote:
Hi all, another beautiful day here and just to make it better I can still look at the green side of the grass.
Shirley what an eyeful of broms in your shade house, they look spectacular. The gentle method that I use is to slowly remove the pups from the parent by teasing out the pup and leave a wedge in between the pup and parent, gradually increasing the distance and moving downwards to the joint until after a couple or few months I hear that familiar crack and know that the pup has broken and is usually potted up. I leave it slightly attached for a while and let it grow a bit more like hardening off juvenile plants. If necessary I support them as one would support a fresh pup until they grow roots and become stable.This might take another couple of months and the pup is strong and healthy growing mostly on it's own even though it still has no roots of it's own. Then I remove the pup and plant it in scoria until it gets a good root system and then into a more permanent pot. I have had to this stage 100% success.
Nev I have no idea as to the beginnings of Treasure hunt but hope to see the grower/supplier on Sunday and I could ask questions. Competetions can be fun, maybe that's the wrong word but they certainly require a lot of preparation. I am tossing up on a couple for Sunday group comp. I tried seeds from Tristus x fosperior and got white seedlingss, no chloryphyll means no survival. I guess it is 1 to take off my list of try agains. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Some of these pics are really old,6-12 months anyway and they are for Neo lovers.
Have a good one
Ian
Pic 1 N Indigo mood
Pic 2 N Rosa morado
Pic3N Bills gift
Pic4N Black magic
Pic 5 n Red claw