Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012, 1 by bromishy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromishy

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
bromishy wrote:
Hi All

Thanks everyone for your kind words of welcome!

Welcome Ian, like you I just discovered this wonderful forum (yesterday).

I could not wait to get home from work today, run around the yard quickly to say hello to my Brom's, get back inside and make myself a tea and quickly log on to check todays threads and look at everyones beautiful welcome messages and Brom' photos :) This is the first time I have ever been part of a forum and if I had know it was this much fun I would have joined yonks ago. I can thing of anything nicer than meeting a group of people as addicted to brom's as I am.

My husband understands my addiction with broms' as he has a similar addition for orchids and we like nothing better than pottering around the garden together, and although brom's and orchids are considered companion plants he sometimes calls my broms' bottom feeders which I don’t like :( He has pretty much taken over my nursery to the point where I have had to move most of my brom's out into our garden, lucky for the brom's they have plenty of beautiful trees and shrubs to hide amongst and they are all doing really well as their colours are much more vibrant and they are pupping more. My Vrieseas on the other hand I am still holding with kids gloves, they all live in our large entertainment area which is well lit and well ventilated, but unfortunately I am slowly running out of room and have had to move a couple outdoors much to my horror, my husband keeps telling me they will be ok but I miss having them so close where I can keep a closer eye on them :(

I have some wonderful news to share with everyone - I am "Mother Brom" for the First Time to one of my Vrieseas where I discovered a pup on my Milky Way x Platynema. I am very pleased because I have only had the brom for an approx. 2months and she has not flowered yet, so I think this is great progress? When the pup gets big enough I will share a proud photo.

Anyway, I know I promised to send through some pic's this weekend but this forum got the better of me so please find attached a few photos of my following babies (I call all my brom's my babies):

Photo No. 1 - Neo. Sam Smith (this one happily lives with my Vriesea's).
Photo No. 2 - Vr. White Bands.
Photo No. 3 - Vr. Fosteriena Seideliena Rubra

I better leave it here; my husband’s hitting me up for a cup of tea and I would not mind one also :)

Until I thread next time, take care everyone, I look forward to chatting with you all again soon.

Trish