Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012, 1 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
perke_patch wrote:
I'm so glad we get to preview our pics as I noticed that pic 3 of spa area uploaded quicker than the snowflake so I was able to change the pic numbers.

Pic 1 here is of the new seedling area with the floor oiled and the back wall done in tin on bottom to block those cold & blowy SE winds and shadecloth on top half for air and sunshine. on the north side we've left the open balistrades on bottom with shadecloth on top half. The rainwater tanks are other side of that wall. there will be a bit of pure early morning sunshine coming through that open parts to warm the seedlings in early mornings. Pic 2 shows the older area with tin on right and the old spa area on left part. now the spa area is just a continuation of the older area.

Pic 3 & 4 are new vriseas from the GC brom meeting. Pic 3 is vr red chestnut x hunter. I know how big this one may grow know how big hunter is. it is already a good size so can imagine what it will become. Pic 4 is gulz x ingrid. I liked the vertical striping and lovely pink tips. looks like it will be really good.

I just had to include Pic 5 which is one of John Catlans hybrids. I love it as it is so deep dark red and it flowering at present. It is vr platynema x red chestnut x suckei. the picture doesn't show the deep rich colour but it will give you an idea. It is also a good size against some of the other vriseas around it. I really like it and hope Johnny will try some crosses using it.

Sue I love your bridge. Is that going to be a permanent water feature under it or just an overflow dry creek bed.

That will do me for tonight. I did babysitting duties today but it was only Rylee (1yo) so had a nice rest and read a new magazine once she went down for a sleep. Tomorrow we pick up our new car but have to collect cash to pay for it as that is what the man wants. had to ring the bank today to make sure they would have it ready for me. don't want that counted out in front of everyone in the building.

Night all
Wendy