Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012, 1 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
weed_woman wrote:
woot-woot, look at all the chatter in here! Nice to see everyone dropping in.
I have listened to your advice and think I will save myself the trouble and leave the laundry tubs 'as is'. There are hippeastrium bulbs planted in front, which will eventually hide the front of it when they get their new foliage, but not in time for the comp I think? I wish the judging was this week as there is quite a bit of colour there now, which will probably be gone in a week or so. nevermind.
Nev, if I am successful with any of the Billies and the chantinii, I will certainly send you some seed to try, as you seem to have the magic touch with growing them on. I put all the Aechmea seedlings (from you) that showed cold damage last year, into the hot house for winter, and you should see how lush and green they look! I will be putting them into the garden in morning sun, very soon, but hope they don't burn because they are so tender looking. Maybe I'll give them a spell in a bright spot in the shade house for a couple of weeks first? I think they are blanchettiana varieties, and the Portea Luiz something or other? I would have to check the label. I took a couple of photos of the nudicaulis flower and the bower bird seedling too, which i will post at the bottom. I wish we had a society here in Coffs, where we coud find out about showing plants e.t.c. I am going out with the Coffs garden club this week, to see some of the previous winning gardens, which should give me an idea on what the judges like.
Bree, love your new plants. My favourite is N. 'Running Red River'. I love 'Silver Plum'too, but wish it would get grass pups. It will be a long time before i can get seed to grow more! I had N. 'Rosella' but who knows where it is now! I have sold a few things on that I wish I hadn't, but I can always get them again, and it gives me something to shop for!
Karen, nice to see you back. i hope you are well and rested? I didn't see the gardening show, so will have to find the ABC online and see if I can watch it. I love going to the catlans, such good bargains to be had, and lovely people. I am glad you are beginning to feel the joys of spring, there's nothing quite like it eh? I hope you find something to take a pic of for us.
Shirley, I'd like to do a massacre in my garden too, but it would leave it a bit ugly for the comp, so I'll have to do my big prune a bit later than usual. There's nothing that is too out of control, as I have been snipping all winter, but a couple of wattles need cutting back to let some light in on the plantings beneath. I took the pics of Alc. heloisae for you so here goes.
the first pic is Alc. heloisae from above
the second pic is showing her side by side with Alc. imperialis rubra o show size
the third pic is Nevs nudicaulis seedling in flower, which reminds me of A.'Nivea' so I'd say gamosepala in there, Nev?
pic four is the bower bird seedling, which has definitely got gamosepala in it!
pic five is Aechmea recurvata 'Blush' coming into flower
Sue