Clematis: Clematis in shrubs, 1 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Clematis in shrubs

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Clematis in shrubs
pirl wrote:
Pam - we're due to get a Walmart Super Store near the LIE but still on Route 58 but it may be another year or two. Right now the Riverhead store is 22 miles from us. Maybe it's good because I'm not so tempted to run in on a whim.

My point with those self-watering pots is NOT for the beauty of the pot but to get the clematises off to a great start. I check the water level almost every day. Some have roots coming out the bottom already! I don't care how unattractive or boring the color of those pots are - my object is to get the strongest, healthiest root system possible. It's all temporary anyhow since the clem's will get planted in the garden.

As I looked up Bill's caladium site to be sure of the spelling of Grey Ghost, I ran across another site that said Grey Ghost is not good for containers. Oh, really! It's terrific, full, beautiful and great for hiding clematis stems. They love the self-watering pots!

For anyone who hasn't seen these pots, here is a photo of the label. An 11.5" pot can easily hold two clem's or 2 or 3 Japanese irises.