Clematis: Clem ID, 4 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Clem ID

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Clem ID
pirl wrote:
You can study the stems and see if you see signs of new leaf breaks by the old blackened leaves. Then it's up to you to decide what to do. I cut mine back and allow new growth to provide the flowers for next year only because I can't stand the sight of black vines.

"Woody" isn't a bad thing. Many get a woody base like this montana Grandiflora. It doesn't impact their bloom at all as you can see by the second photo. Others get thin, ugly, multiple, woody stems but that isn't a bad sign either, just not a pretty one. Those I just endure and put a potted plant to hide the stems.

When I was working in one area last month I ripped the clematis from the iron scrollwork (at the right in this third photo) not realizing I was ripping out the tops of the stems of two clematises. So I'm left with the woody base of multiple stems until they green up again. Thankfully, I guess, the heat is keeping me inside and I don't have to see it.

The best cure for ugly stems that need cutting back, or ugly bases, is definitely caladiums. No need to lift the caladiums in the fall unless you want to, but I don't. I love how they hide the ugly legs and bases of clematises. Next year I'll be ordering many more caladiums for this purpose as well as for the absolute beauty of them. Look for Bill's Classified Ads at the end of December to January for his DG special - caladiumbulbs4less.com - he's the best and so are his caladiums.