Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Daylilies: Seed starting?, 1 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Seed starting?

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Seed starting?
wrote:
Hi All:
Here is how I have started DL seeds since 2009. This year I have 144 seedlings growing from Oct 2011 sprouting. They are in a plant nursery.

It is fascinating that each seed growing in the same pod will produce a brand new and different variety never seen due to many generations of genes that were bred into the parent plants. On the other hand, some seedlings may have a few similar traits from their parents, just like humans.

I became interested in hybridizing both Daylilies and Irises a few years ago. After doing research and learning the mechanics of hybridizing, I did my first crosses summer of 2009. Not all developed into a pod. Either the pollen or the flower was not ready, the day was too hot for crosses to take, etc. After many trials and errors, I discovered that the only time of the day conditions were right for pollination to produce seeds in my zone was early in the morning before I went to work and before the temperature was too high. It was a learning experience that resulted in 12 pods.

I choosed parents that already exhibit qualities I would like to see in my seedlings, such as vigor, number of blooms per plant, hardiness, and ofcourse, attractive form and color. Others were crossed just because....

THIS IS HOW

BEGIN BY SOAKING SEEDS OVER NIGHT IN HAND HOT WATER. This will plump up and soften the seedcoat.

I use a damp kitchen paper towel, cut in half and moistened. Squeeze out the excess water. Fold it in half. Place the seeds in a corner and fold one end over the seeds. Place this package in a small ziplock bag and zip it, leaving a small opening to blow air into the bag to fill like a balloon. Once filled, zip it closed. Place in fridge crisper for 3 weeks to stratify the seeds. After 2 weeks, check to see if any have begun to sprout, which often they do. After 3 weeks, move to room temp to germinate.

Sprouting time depends on variety. At this point, check the seeds several times during the week, starting after the 3rd day. As soon as seeds have formed a radical (tiny roots forming) with a tweezer grasp the seed casing of those and transfer to seed flat or pot. Make a hole with a pencil and guide the root into the hole. Plant at so the seed is 1/4" below the surface, 1" or more, apart. Be sure to place roots downwards in the hole. If the roots have grown into the paper towel, just tear around the roots and plant it. Do not try to remove the roots from the paper. The paper will eventually rot.

Until the sprouted seeds have broken through the soil, they do not need light. However, once they do, grow them in a sunny window, under light, or place the flat outside in a protected area if weather is warm.

When the seedlings are large enough to handle, pot them in a 3" pot. I use the 3" foam cups made for coffee. A screwdriver will easily punch drainage holes. The cups are cheap to buy at Walmart, or if used, save them from work. Plant outside when all danger of frost is past in your zone. The earlier Daylilies and Irises are sown, the longer the growing time, which will produce earlier flowers. In the colder region of the country, it can take up to 2-1/2 years, average 2 years for a seedling to blooms. I had several bloom this year from Oct 2010 sowing.

Photos
1] The tiny roots as it emerged from seedcoat. Ready to be potted.
2] Growing under lights over winter.
3] 144 seedlings growing in my plant nursery planted May 29, 2012
4 & 5] Two of my seedlings with first blooms this season from 2010 sowing.

Edited to add that you can also see my iris seedlings on the right in photo 3. They were planted in the same month as the Daylilies.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2012 4:20 PM