Wildlife: Critters Big and Small Vol. 12, 5 by P_Edens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright P_Edens

In reply to: Critters Big and Small Vol. 12

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Critters Big and Small Vol. 12
P_Edens wrote:
Wow. I have looked back at the last few "issues" of the Wildlife threads and have seen some stunning images. I think it is so cool to have deer come up in your yard. There are none in my suburban neighborhood. I took up photography as a hobby a few years ago and have enjoyed nature/outdoor photography the most, so these wildlife images are so wonderful to see.

Also enjoyed the tips like Hack's bamboo perch for the dragons. That's a great idea. Lots of dragons in my backyard today and I have some bamboo gardening stakes, so I'm set!

Sunkissed, you asked for tips on hummingbirds. I went to a photography workshop in the Texas Hill Country area a while back and the landowners had a lot of hummingbirds at the feeders on their porch. The photography instructor (photo lead) took all but one feeder down and let the birds get used to that idea. They were not too terribly happy, but they got over it.

Then, she put a table under the one feeder and put a potted cactus plant on the table. The plant was about four feet off of the ground and the feeder was about six feet off the ground. Then we got our cameras set up for the composition we wanted and set up some flashes.

1. I took a few photos of her hand until we got the flash power correct for all three flashes. You can do this with just one flash though. Really no need to get this fancy. The important thing is how you get a nice photo without a feeder in the image.

2. Once we got the flashes set, the photo lead started lowering the feeder so that it was getting closer and closer to the cactus flower. The birds didn't care that she was standing right by the feeder. They just kept coming in.

3. Then she got a dropper bottle with some of the same sugar water nectar that was in the feeder and added a few drops to the flower on the left side of the cactus. The birds pretty much ignored it. But, then she took the feeder down - oh, my! - that got their attention and they flew around fussing for a bit. After just a minute or so, the first bird went to check out the flowers.

It didn't take long until they were all hovering near the flowers waiting their turn. They would all hover for a bit at almost the same place. I caught them there several times. Then, they would all feed at the same spot because that was the only spot with nectar. We would add a few more drops from time to time and all four of the students had a chance to sit on the porch (one at a time) and photograph the hummers. Unfortunately, I never did catch a male. But, a couple of the students did.

Of course, it is best to use some type of flower that is sturdy enough to hold some nectar.

I was using a Canon camera with a 400mm lens. I used ISO 320, f/9 and 1/250 sec shutter speed.
But, if your hummers are really hungry and accustomed to people being around, you can do this with a point and shoot, sitting three or four feet from the plant. One of the students used a much shorter lens and sat quite close. She got one of the males with the beautiful ruby colored gorget lit up by the flashes.