Florida Gardening: Yeah, we got bugs in Florida, 1 by cyberageous

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cyberageous

In reply to: Yeah, we got bugs in Florida

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Yeah, we got bugs in Florida
cyberageous wrote:
The lubbers aren't as bad this year, even tho we are carved out of the Everglades where they flourish. I have heavily landscaped and hate every grasshopper-chewed leaf that I find. We use a garden variety of garlic granules to keep them down and each year, we have less and less lubbers. Around the perimeter of the houses and inside, we use boric acid (20 mule team is cheapest) and within 24 hours you have a graveyard of palmettos.

They say the lubbers taste bitter and have no known enemy but I saw a swamp rat carry one off one morning. They walk on water too! I spray with sevin. I used to spray 3 times a day but now have a tiny dog and am afraid to. I haven't figured out a plan for next year's infestation.
When I first moved here about 9 yrs ago, I wrapped a tree with wide cellophane tape inside out and the lubbers wouldn't cross it. The only thing they don't eat is my pepper plants but now something else likes them. It's always something!

I am trying to propagate a lot of plants now, hoping to move soon. Anyone have extra pots? Someone far North was nice enough to offer but I can't afford the gas to get them. I just hate to lose my cuttings but somethings HAD to be cut back and I am not one to waste a single cutting.
I'll even share my cuttings if someone not far has some pots to share.