Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012, 1 by bromalong

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bromalong

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS JULY & AUGUST 2012
bromalong wrote:
Thanks for the heads up on your growing conditions Tash sounds like it’s a tough environment to grow broms in, down this way we have our own challenge’s our summers at times can get hotter because of the lack of rain days, we can get high 30’s with very low humidity for months some years then some years the wet sets in so I like your thinking re the dry mix. My mix is pine bark based with around 10% choir (the course kind) 10 to 15% charcoal and some polystyrene if I have it, that’s about my base for all my pottered Broms, I keep a close eye on the PH (6.5 is my aim)
Then refine that for the different types, course for the Aechmeas and Neo’s down to a finer mix for the Vrieseas .At least with quincan gravel not much chance of the plant being blown over by the wind but it must be a bugger moving box of them around no need to go to the gym!!!
Quincan is a bit hard on the pocket down this way, might have something to with the transport costs.
Shirley you ask if removing apex pup from Vr ospiae var gruberii will kill the mother the short answer is yes but you often get the odd pup before it heads off to the great compost heap (its heading there anyway) I like your N old loveletters & N painted delight my painted delight throws dud pups hoping to get a good soon to nice a plant to be with out.
Bree if leaving the apex pup on your Vr O var G works for you then that’s best (why fix it if its not broke) orchid bark would be a first class mix it has a pre set PH of 7 and is nice and chunky if I left my broms out in the summer sun I would lose 95% of them
Good to see you back Nev, that Vr Megan is a stunner is it one of yours!! The reason I ask is I was wondering how the paten leafed Vr performed down your way.
You haven’t seen Sue have you!!!! Must be into hiding,