Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Tomato genome fully sequenced , 1 by RickCorey_WA

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright RickCorey_WA

In reply to: Tomato genome fully sequenced

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Tomato genome fully sequenced
RickCorey_WA wrote:
>> the second one was way over my head.

Me, too. The journal Nature is heavy-duty science. I read the abstract and then looked at the pictures while scanning the text to see if any made sense to me. The abstract made the point that wild and cultivated tomatoes only differ in 0.6% of their DNA. I thought that was cool: the selection process we are so proud of, that makes agriculture possible, adds up to less than 1% of the genome.

Jeanette,
>> how is that lilac I sent you doing?

Hi Jeanette. Both are doing OK, a tall stick with some leaves on top. I haven't killed them yet, which IS an acomplishment folr me! I have them both in pots.

I only had two perennial beds, and a new n eighbor moved in and made me removed one of them! So I'm still preparing a permanent home for them. I will probably use them as a screen between our yards, in an area I'm thiniking of making into a "Goddess Garden" - small beds around a big stump I hope to use as a pedastle for a small statue of an angel. The white and lilac should be good colors for that.

You can see the orange tape where you labelled them, in this shot. The leaves are a small bunch at the top.