Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: June 2012- Feels way too much like July!!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: June 2012- Feels way too much like July!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of June 2012- Feels way too much like July!!
shortleaf wrote:
Oh, it has happened to me before, the wind broke my Canna last year, I remember I was bummed right out! From my experience the wind can break a Canna. See my posts from last Summer around Aug. 14th - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1204534/ I'm not trying to be nasty Pepper, you know I love my gardening friends! : )
Speaking of the Canna, I tied it up loosely to my former glider frame. That pot must weigh 40 or 50 lbs, I don't think the wind can take it even with those big leaves.
I only have 1 bulb tho Pepper, I better try to keep it alive. I guess I could have 5 now since there are 5 sprouts, when I planted it tho it was just one great big bulb.

I went to my bank today and I saw a genuine mulch volcano in their parking lot!

The 'Satisfaction' Lily Trees are blooming, they are kinda pretty!

Here is my Elephant Ears today, the leaves are getting more abundant and bigger too. I don't think you can see it in the photo but there is a new sprout coming up from another bulb. I think they're just gonna take their sweet time coming up! But, thats 3 of the 4 EE bulbs that are in there now I'll be watching for the last one. Thanks happ, but my record of emptying out big pots like that hasn't been so good lately, I tried that with a big pot of Coneflower seedlings and everything fell apart in my hands, the seedlings all perished. I might have to cut that pot off when the Elephant Ears get big.

I might try to get feet under that bridge also to slow it down on rotting. That bridge thing weighs a ton though, it has a metal angle iron frame under it. That thing is in that spot to stay unless I got about 3 or 4 people to help me move it, I'd guess it weighs about 500 lbs. The potting bench and stuff there is definitely on my list of things to do someday. Some non-windy day soon I'd really like to get that dark red shed spraygun painted before it falls apart!

My rainbarrel is almost emptied out, it just got filled up about a week ago!