Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: June 2012- Feels way too much like July!!, 2 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: June 2012- Feels way too much like July!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

Back to post
Photo of June 2012- Feels way too much like July!!
shortleaf wrote:
Thanks happ. I might add the cactus in there to my concrete planter outside with the succulents in it. I really only wanted succulents in that though. I might make a small terrarium out of a small mason jar we have and put it in it, I do want to keep the cactus. I like how I only need to water it once a month for one thing!
I got the idea of a concrete succulent planter from you happ, I think you said you have one made outside in an old birdbath maybe.

Thanks billy, seeds have done me well. I hope some Roses bloom sometime soon. Besides the dark red one from happ that's already bloomed, I think the other 3 Roses might be too small to bloom this year.
Asiatic Lilies are nice, maybe I'll get some of those. I don't know what I'll do with the lizard's old terrarium. It needs cleaning for one thing, there is lizard poop everywhere and I believe 3 crickets still in there skulking around. I should do something before cats get in there and rearrange everything for me, they watch the crickets. If the Hollyhocks start shooting up then maybe I'll see flowers on them this year!

Thanks Crit, I've seen Dunks at the stores. I'm still kinda undecided on what I'll do about a pond or raingarden. I might get out some bleach though, the pond doesn't want to empty all the way out and there is mosquito larvae in the water. There is also footprints in the mud going down to the water, raccoons could be getting a drink. The neighbor said he has seen 3 raccoons go in our chimney up on the roof. They can't get in the house because the fireplaces are closed off, but I can hear them in there breathing and huffing around, the cats are always sniffing around by the fireplace up here! There is a fireplace down in the basement but we don't live down there, there is birds in that one. I plan to go up on the roof this Fall and put a cap on the chimney before they tear everything up. Trouble is, I don't like to go on the roof! It takes me about 15 minutes to go up the ladder and then when I get up there I scoot around because I'm afraid if I stand up I'm going to fall off the roof, my ankles aren't that good. Papercrete containers sound interesting. That Rose-Of-Sharon is really greening up Crit, are you sure I can't interest you in it? It's in this pic in the front right of the shade garden the other day. -
I can mail you a smaller ROS cutting/stick in an envelope for a stamp, I got stamps. The postage on that would be no problem for me. I learned patience is key on a ROS cutting, it never got a leaf for about 9 months after I put it in dirt. It remained outside all Winter as just a stick then greened up in the Spring, I started that cutting way back last early August. Actually, if one were to do a cutting nice, unlike the way I did, just sticking it in yard dirt, it would probably sprout up faster if it was in potting soil and notched and your not supposed to jab them down in dirt like I do.

The 'Blue Nanho' Butterfly Bush is shooting up. That's a Dwarf Mugo Pine above it. You have to keep DMP watered good after buying them from Lowes, it's one of those plants that I learned will die if you don't water it all the time after getting it from Lowes and their frequent watering schedule, otherwise have the receipt ready!