Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Looking for inspiration, 1 by kosk0025

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kosk0025

In reply to: Looking for inspiration

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Looking for inspiration
kosk0025 wrote:
You can kind of mound the soil elsewhere, but then make the depth gradually decrease when you approach existing plants. Use less soil in that area, that sort of thing. After a year, all of the soil settles anyway, so the bed pretty much flattens out. I might have overstated depths of soil/compost. Fine to do 2-3 inches of compost and 3-4 inches of soil. I find this technique to be much easier than digging out existing turf grass. I have a good place that delivers soil/compost by the cubic yard. They dump it in my driveway, and I use a wheelbarrow to move it. This year I had 2 units of compost and 2 units of soil delivered! (Each unit is 7.4 cubic yards). Uff da.

I'm attaching a couple of pics that I have that do a better job showing some of my beds in relation to the house. First pic I took yesterday, and you can see my snowball viburnum in bloom. Second pic is the same bed (those are the same windows) in July or August.