Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: June 2012- Feels way too much like July!!, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: June 2012- Feels way too much like July!!

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of June 2012- Feels way too much like July!!
shortleaf wrote:
Pow Wow and the Yarrow are very pretty. I only have the regular Purple Coneflowers so far. They are getting more purple, they started out pale, almost white. There's that Royal Sunset clump you gave me at the RU in Fall 09', Pepper, it has a lot of flowers on it already. It's funny, one of the Redlily flowers is poking thru the leaves of that Persimmon tree, it looks like the Persimmon has a red flower..lol Those rocks aren't touching any of the plants, not laying on any of the leaves, I placed them down with care not to smash anything. Those Hollyhocks back there haven't flowered yet, they are "Black Hollyhocks" from seedrack.com, black should be interesting, altho, they could mean very dark maroon, we'll see hopefully. The 'Mini Penny' Hydrangea is trying to put on 3 whitish flowers. The flowers on it are supposed to be light blue eventually.

That dark red Rose seems to be doing good to me, happ, it has only gotten bigger, it has really shot up recently, the flowers on it WERE dark! I have one pink climbing Rose, it is called 'Pink Fountains', it says it only grows 8 - 12 feet, the label doesn't mention hardiness so I had to wait until I got home and Googled it to find out it's minimum zone 6b, thanks Kmart! Maybe the semblance of a microclimate here will help it live.

The 3 'Satisfaction' Lily Trees on the clothesline post/trellis are getting ready to put out some flowers. I hope they are more like the pictures from Brecks, unlike the 3 'Purple Prince's that I got from them last year, which have way more white on them than purple, maybe they'll be more purple this year. Oh well, I can't complain, I kinda bamboozled them on coupons, I only paid $2.97 for each package of three bulbs, hey, they offered the coupons so I took them! The 3 Purple princes came in one and the 3 Satisfactions came in the other. They gave me 2 completely free $25 coupons so who am I to turn them down! I told them on the phone "sorry, but I can't afford to buy anything else!" I haven't given up on the 3 Purple Princes or anything, they are doing well on the other side of the yard this year.

Here is my Chinese Wisteria chainlink fence planting again. I had to show off my Porsche in the photo! Haha! That's not a Porsche and my car is a jalopy!

Here is a big Mimosa in all of it's flowering glory in the backyard.

For anybody that remembers my lizard, Lenny, he musta ate some sand or something. I scooped him out of the terrarium today, he is deceased. He ate real well recently, and was active, on 3 dozen crickets, then just sat around for a couple days, then stopped moving, that's when I knew something was wrong with him/her. He/she is going to that big lizard heaven in the sky, I got him out of there before he decomposed or the last 3 crickets ate on him, crickets will eat anything I found out. I don't know what to do with the terrarium now. Do I get another lizard or just take my lone cactus out of there and put it in a smaller glass container? Decisions, decisions!

Here's my pink climbing Rose that I planted the other day. That's the pink Rose on the right side of the photo, on the other side of the former futon frame is a red Honeysuckle. That was the last climbing Rose they had so it looks pretty ragged still! -
Will