Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Looking for inspiration, 1 by Sherrygirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sherrygirl

In reply to: Looking for inspiration

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Looking for inspiration
Sherrygirl wrote:
I like what you did with the lilac bush. I have 2 in my backyard garden. They were getting too big and spreading out to far where I didn't want them. So I took off ALL the bottom branches and made them look like small trees. They look great now. I like the way your bed is curved. I always curve my beds. Just love the look. If it were me, I would put something as a focal point in the far left corner. Maybe a pretty hydrangea or a small Japanese Maple. I have both and LOVE them both. You would probably have to get the smaller, dwarf type hydrangea. I will post a couple here that I have in my yard. But there are many, many choices for you if you like them. Also not sure what kind of sun or shade you get in that area.

The first is a Nikko Blue hydrangea. Believe it or not it WAS pure blue and beautiful. But I moved it because it was getting covered up by the pine trees and it turned pink in its new spot! Hydrangeas do that. It all depends on your soil. And I only moved mine maybe 10 feet away! But I like the pink too, so that's fine by me. But now my other things are growing so big I may have to move it again so it is visible. Things grow faster than we think!

The second one is a hydrangea called Twist and Shout. It is a laceleaf type so has totally different looking flowers. But I fell in love with them. I have only had them since May of 2010. So far, so good. :) But I put them under some pine trees that we limbed up and the limbs are hanging down so much they are almost hiding the hydrangeas. So I may have to cut some more limbs off the pine trees or move the hydrangeas. Dang. Anyhow, here's some photos for you for now. Not trying to tell you what to do, just giving ideas. Let me know if you want more. :) Believe me, I'm no expert. It's all trial and error for me. hehe