Photo by Melody

Clematis: Advice or suggestions please :) , 1 by Sherrygirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sherrygirl

Subject: Advice or suggestions please :)

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Advice or suggestions please  :)
Sherrygirl wrote:
In the attached photo you will see some climbing rose bushes. DUH :) Anyhow, the past couple of years has not been good to them. There is a lot of dead wood and some also went wild (reverting back to the little red roses) instead of what they were. So, I'm probably going to yank them out. Maybe leave the red one in the middle, not sure yet. I have to make time to look them over good and see what I need to do.

But, I do not want to look at the ugly chain link fence! So i was thinking of putting clematis all along the fence. They might work better there anyway because in front is a small garden area where we plant some tomatoes and cucumbers. My husband does not like getting ripped up by the rose bushes when in that garden area. But we really loved the roses anyway and were planning on just keeping them trimmed up close to the fence line. But since the roses aren't doing well now I was thinking about the clematis idea.

What I would like is some suggestions to which clematis would help cover up the fence every year. And I know it won't be the first year. But when they are established. So I am thinking of easier to grow clematis that do well in your experiences. Maybe some with different bloom times so there is something blooming more often then just the initial flush. I am thinking I need the more vigorous or taller varieties. Not the monsters though!!!! LOL

Or maybe you even have a better idea for covering the fence? But remember, whatever it is, it has to be able to stay close to the fence because of the garden space in front of it. And sorry, but no trumpet vines!!!! Way too vigorous here for what we want.

Any advice or suggestions? Gotta get back to work now. See you soon. :)

Sherry