Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Tomato Sauce, To Peel or not to Peel, 1 by dreaves

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dreaves

Subject: Tomato Sauce, To Peel or not to Peel

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Tomato Sauce, To Peel or not to Peel
dreaves wrote:
I posted this on the Canning forum, but got a limited response. I see lots of recipes that suggest peeling and seeding tomatoes before making sauce. I'm doing some roasted tomato sauce, and I'm wondering about the effect of the peel on the flavor of the tomatoes.

I have an immersion blender that I've used in the past when making jam. How much effect on the flavor would you expect, either positive or negative, if I roasted tomatoes with their skins and seeds (quartering and coring out any green stem) then blended with the immersion blender?

The other option I have is to cook the tomatoes, then run through my hand-cranked food mill. The food mill is more work than the blender, but less work than scalding and peeling the tomatoes by hand. At this point, it is too late to peel before roasting, since I did the first batch this afternoon. The tomatoes cooled while I was on dialysis tonight, so I have to either blend the peels and seeds, or pull out the food mill.

Thoughts? Opinions?

David