Wildlife: one- winged finch, 2 by kat7

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kat7

Subject: one- winged finch

Forum: Wildlife

Back to post
Photo of one- winged finch
kat7 wrote:
Was at the barn on Sunday and came across a little finch rolling around the ground. When I picked it up- noticed that it only had 1 wing. Where the left wing should have been was a small piece of flesh with 2 wing feathers attached. No wounds, no bones, just two wing feathers. Looks like a juvenile, but couldn't figure out how it could have survived if born like this, or how it could have healed if it was an earlier injury. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a bird born with only 1 wing? Poor little thing. It was so stressed when I brought it home it would just flap its one wing falling over on the wingless side where it couldn't get itself up, and just kept bashing itself in to the side of the cage. I clipped back the feathers on the good wing, and today it seems to be adjusting better and has managed to perch itself in the cage. It is eating and drinking and I am hoping it can be tamed so it can be happy as a pet rather than having to euthanize it since it would not be able to survive in the wild.