Clematis: Clematis in shrubs, 1 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Clematis in shrubs

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Clematis in shrubs
Pfg wrote:
Wow, pricey! But it's a beauty- talk about instant gratification! I'm glad I saw the Rooguchi. It really is very special. I will end up with one sooner or later. But no more until more of the ones I have find homes!

Nelly Moser is in. I was able to move a huge stone out from the wall and found that there is lots of root room between the stones underneath. I put a few cranesbills around to shield the stems from inadvertant disturbance, as that area is a corridor. On one side there is a narrow pass through up to the patio, and on the other stairs lead down next to the house to the lower level. My only concern is that she gets enough sun. It's direct in the morning for a while, then none, then filtered in late afternoon. Somewhere I read- maybe on a grower's website?- that if she's on a north facing wall it should be painted white. That's not possible here, but it's more easterly than north. Also there may be a way to lift her up some by using rocks to make a small raised bed. I'll keep thinking about it, and see what happens meanwhile. If she doesn't seem to be growing I'll have to do something.

Night blooms could be amazing on those boxes, certainly worth a try.

This weekend was a killer in the garden, way too hot and humid. I couldn't stay out in the sun for long without a break. I have so many annuals to get in, and tomatoes and herbs. I thought I'd have plenty of time between Friday afternoon and today, but just couldn't finish all I'd planned. I did get a fair amount done in the shady areas- hanging baskets, the pruning and 3 more Clem's done, for instance. But this morning I thought I would get all ten tomatoes in before we left at 1, but had to give up after 6. And there are still a couple of flats worth of annuals I didn't get to either. C'est la vie...