Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: I need help for our front hill, 1 by happy_macomb

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright happy_macomb

Subject: I need help for our front hill

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I need help for our front hill
happy_macomb wrote:
If I didn't know you all loved me, I'd never post this. We have long ignored our front hill because it is so daunting -- nothing seems to grow on it, except ditch lilies at the bottom. Even vinca doesn't spread -- but we don't water (usually), and it is very rocky and steep. We kept trying, limply, to get the vinca to spread, and bemoaned its failure. We figured that if vinca wouldn't spread, nothing would make it.

But our neighbor recently tackled similar conditions and to my shock was able to get a bunch of perennials and ornamental grasses to grow in similar awful conditions, and swears she didn't amend the soil. She has inspired us to try a new tack. My neighbor thinks the reason the vinca isn't spreading is the sun is too much for it (it is close to full sun), and that other plants would do well.

The hill is very very steep, so we are not interested in anything short-lived, or that can't compete with weeds, or that needs TLC. The soil is awful -- impenetrable -- it would be clay if it weren't so hard. It is not pleasant to stand or weed on that bank. We don't look at it much (the driveway is on the other side), and we never ever use the front door of the house. I have lots of other garden areas that I enjoy worrying over -- not this one.

Suggestions for long-lived plants that can survive here with very little care? Truly, my gardening energies go to the back side of the house.

What is growing well on my neighbor's front bank (planted just a few years ago) are:

A few huge ornamental grasses that might be Pampas grass -- it is throwing off lots of seedlings
Fountain grass (Pennisetum alopecuroides - don't know the variety), but looks very nice "running" down the hill
Liriope at the bottom of the hill next to the street
Salvia Royal Candles (doesn't make much of a statement)
Catmint (don't know the variety, but it looks great)
Spiderwort (don't know the variety -- this is on the shadier side of the hill)
Daisies of some sort (perennial)
Geranium Rozanne
Chrysanthemum Pacificum
Echinacea of some sort
Ajuga of some sort (a blackish one)
Siberian iris of some sort
Oenothera fruticosa
Echinacea of some sort
Flower Carpet roses

The overall effect in her yard is very pretty. She claims she never waters, though I've seen her water -- but maybe it was only when she first planted this stuff about two years ago.

I'd be happy to have some short shrubs. I do need plants that will hug the hill because of erosion (though the soil so awful we no longer get much erosion). I've thought about forsythia, knockout roses, st. john's wort.

Towards the top of the hill is a bit of shade.

Deer are definitely an issue. I haven't seen bunnies.

And we get lots of chemicals sprayed around when it snows.

Do you have any ideas?