Specialty Gardening: How I Started From Scratch, 1 by FruitOfTheVine

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright FruitOfTheVine

In reply to: How I Started From Scratch

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of How I Started From Scratch
FruitOfTheVine wrote:
Thanks for the compliments, y'all, but have to confess my beds are on their own and don't do anything special, just try to keep the weeds at bay and depend on rain water and mulch to hold the moisture. I'm so far behind picking up a couple of loads of mulch this year. May has brought an abundance of rain and am grateful for the showers when March and April were unusually hot and dry. Late April Showers?

The past two years I've been adding Lilies, but Daylilies are still the backbone of my gardens and hope you won't get bored seeing many more when they bloom.

Joy, Maggie is an eye-popper and especially enjoyed seeing a peek of your wildflowers. Is the second photo a Scotch Broom? I've never seen one in person. It'll be a while yet before our wild Black-Eyed Susan's, Daisies, and Queen Anne's Lace bloom in our field. But who knows with this crazy year? Same timeframe for Chicory but have already seen them blooming out here in the Country.

I'm either going to give the Irises away (one row of possibly 8-10 clumps that are a mess growing together) or move them around telephone poles, but I'd rather reserve those areas for Ornamental Grasses.

The first shot shows Mickey, my Yorkie peeking through a clump of Irises last month. My gardening space is limited, and am quickly running out of room for plants that don't like to be mulched.

Second pic is Asiatic Lily 'Monte Negro' that opened Sunday.

Third pic are NOIDS last month, a Hosta and an Ajuga both gifted by my local gardening friend three years ago and were the first plants I started with. I'd love to have an ID of either or both.

Keep the pics coming! It's always great to see everyone's gardens and blooms and give me inspiration.