Photo by Melody

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Need Help to Re-bloom Florida Amaryllis for Holidays, 1 by Wyckoff

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Wyckoff

Subject: Need Help to Re-bloom Florida Amaryllis for Holidays

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Need Help to Re-bloom Florida Amaryllis for Holidays
Wyckoff wrote:
Dear fellow gardeners,
I am posting this in both the Florida Gardening forum and the Amaryllis and Hippeastrums forum because I grow amaryllis in central Florida.
I have hundreds of amaryllis and I’d like to sell a few. Unfortunately the best market time is the November and December Holidays and I am unable to persuade any of my bulbs to bloom then. They won’t even put in an appearance for Valentine’s Day.
For the past several years I have tested various methods with no success. This last season I tested 33 bulbs 2.75” in diameter or larger. Unpot in mid-August. Then dry and dark with good air circulation. Note: it’s hard to do “cool” and dry and dark storage in Florida. Attics, garages and barns are like ovens and we generally don’t have basements. Repot after 8 – 10 weeks.
13 bulbs have done absolutely nothing. 1 is still dormant as of May 9 although the bulb is solid and green with good roots. The rest have bloomed but none before Valentine’s Day. I actually had bulbs that wintered outside bloom before the bulbs being tested for the winter Holidays!
So - does anyone have a history of successfully reblooming amaryllis – in time for the Holidays - in central or south Florida?
How do you do it?
Sincerely,

Candace