Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Growing Tomatoes, Season 2012, 1 by hornstrider

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hornstrider

In reply to: Growing Tomatoes, Season 2012

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Growing Tomatoes, Season 2012
hornstrider wrote:
I suppose it's harvest time in the South. Great job all. Dreaves your maters look great, and it won't be long before you taking pictures of ripe red tomato's.

I started much earlier than everyone I suppose, and was lucky with the weather. It's better to be lucky than good. I have been picking maters since April 26th. Here are a few pic's of my harvest. I have given away 1/2 of what I have pictured. I have been very impressed with Indian Stripe, and San Marzano. I have never grown before, and I must say I am impressed with the flavor. My Big Beef are amazing this year. Last year not so much. Of course the Cherokee Purple is just the best tomato I have ever consumed......ever!!........I am still waiting on Brandywine Sudduth. I saw last night one is starting to turn pinkish.......and I am still waiting on my Super Plant, lots of maters just have net turned yet. I thought I planted two Early Girl bush plants, but one of the EG's does not seem to be a EG.......it is much taller, and the leaves are somewhat different.........It may be a Arkansas Traveler, or Mortgage Lifter.......I started those two varieties, but I did not think I planted them.

Edit.....Also in the first picture the two tomato's on the far left are Rutgers...I have not tasted yet. The smallish maters to the right are Black Krim. This year the Black Krim plants are loaded w/ fruit, but they so far are much smaller than last years crop.

This message was edited May 11, 2012 8:16 AM