Clematis: Clematis chat: Success without effort, 2 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Clematis chat: Success without effort

Forum: Clematis

Back to post
Photo of Clematis chat: Success without effort
pirl wrote:
sm - Hopefully this will be my first blooming year with Guernsey Cream. I love the cream color.

The most devout gardeners I've heard about do not allow any perennial to bloom for two full years to increase the strength of the roots. I am not part of that group. I wouldn't have the heart to cut back a new lush clematis but you can cut back what I refer to a wimpy plant, which may not bloom anyhow.

It's hard to compare clematises to see what's done best for each of us. A lot depends on the planting, the sunshine and the original health of the plant. Root competition can be deadly. Some appear wonderful at first but don't seem to make good progress regardless of how we dote on them.

Omoshiro is my favorite though not the greatest producer of blooms, most likely due to the location, but many are excellent producers and go on and on with blossoms for weeks. Jackmanii produces thousands of flowers each year. This is Ernest Markham and it usually blooms a very long time and crosses over atop the nearby azaleas. Last year I added Patricia Ann Fretwell to the left of Ernest as a color echo and hope to see them bloom together eventually. Photo credits for the collage: Victorgardener for Patricia Ann Fretwell and Brushwood for Ernest Markham.

Lee - I've never noticed a scent to Piilu but will try to take notice this year. Thanks for the tip.