Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tomatoes & Peppers: Hot weather zones: Fall tomato crop ideas, 1 by dreaves

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dreaves

Subject: Hot weather zones: Fall tomato crop ideas

Forum: Tomatoes & Peppers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hot weather zones: Fall tomato crop ideas
dreaves wrote:
It's time to start thinking about what tomatoes to grow for a fall crop. If one needs to order seeds, then the time to research varieties, order, ship, germinate, pot, harden, etc. needs to start soon. My understanding is that people typically grow smaller, shorter-season tomatoes for the second crop. In Austin, the fall first frost date is probably mid-November. That means that I have to plant the fall crop in August if I hope to get many tomatoes before the "winter" sets in.

We normally are still having 100-110 degree days in August. I know tomatoes won't set fruit in that heat... will small plants grow (if they have adequate water)? Would the new seedlings benefit from some shade for the first few weeks? Do I need to do anything special that is different from a spring plant out?

What fall varieties do others grown in the deep south or southwest? I want to try 'Tangella', a sibling of 'Tigerella', based on Dr Carolyn's recommendation. I will also grow some cherry tomatoes. I may also try another crop of 'Big Beef', since I always have good luck with it. I've grown 'Stupice' before, but I wasn't impressed with its flavor. Suggestions on varieties? Other thoughts about planting a fall crop?

David

The photo is of a starting cluster of Indian Stripe.