Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Perennials: creeping phlox, 1 by kosk0025

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kosk0025

In reply to: creeping phlox

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of creeping phlox
kosk0025 wrote:
The Lithodora has foliage very similar to rosemary---thickish dark green leaves. It is supposed to remain evergreen. If it gets cold enough that you lose the foliage, you will lose the plant. I think the creeping phlox is much hardier. It dies back like a regular perennial. I lost a couple Lithadora a few years ago when we had a week of temps ranging from 15-25 degrees (rare here) and clear skies/no snow. In my experience it grows very fast.....3 and 1/2 inch pots = 24x24 inch mounds in 2-3 years. Monrovia is located about 15-20 miles from my house. The nursery industry is huge in Oregon.

I'm a seed saver/lover.....I don't think Lithodora is easy to grow from seed....I'll take a look this year to see if it forms seeds. It definitely doesn't self sow.

The lithodora in this pic from last year is now twice this size....in fact, that path area is now covered. (Pic is last year---my snowball viburnum are not yet blooming this year).

Thanks for the tip to look at Carolyn Aiken's blog---sounds great! Going to check it out right now.