Photo by Melody

Rural Gardening: Share your homesteading experiences and dreams., 1 by demonshollow

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright demonshollow

In reply to: Share your homesteading experiences and dreams.

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Share your homesteading experiences and dreams.
demonshollow wrote:

LaysEggs, welcome, that's a lot of chickens! We can hardly wait to get the gardens going. Our fresh food sources are very limited here and very expensive. I was so dissappointed with my trip to the farmers market last year. They had minimal selection and the prices of what they did have were unreasonably high. Even if we go to Reno or Elko, the choices are not a lot better and we must also factor in the fuel costs for the 300 plus mile round trip. It is just to much for our very tiny budget! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

Darius, thank you for the links, you always seem to have so many great links to share. I was surprised that I actually had several of the same links on my other computer before it died. It is nice to have access to them again. Now I need to get my but busy building more solar panels so I can spend more time going through them. We want to do some thing similar to some of those systems in the future. Right now, we are using a percolation method for our grey water. It just made sense to use with all of the sand we have at our place. Only real draw back is we loose a lot to evaporation from the wind and heat.

Cajuninky, yes, that is what we have for sage. It is actually a few varieties of sage and other plants I have not ID yet as well as desert grasses , mostly needle grass is what I have seen. We have no Creosote bushes though. Some areas around here a full of it and don't have much else. We also have a large variety of desert flowers but most have such a short bloom cycle you have to be realy looking to find them. I snapped this just a few days ago and as the season progresses, the colors and varieties will change. We also have had our first scorpion of the season and the chickens all fought for it as if it was going to be their last meal. It is always so funny to watch.

Liz