Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Clematis in shrubs

Forum: Clematis

Back to post
Photo of Clematis in shrubs
Pfg wrote:
You are reminding me...

There is an old barn which still contains relics from the past, especially thanks to the previous owner who gardened here from the mid 1930's until 1970. He also scavenged. We (not just me in the last 6 years, but also prior) have utilized many objects already- chains, like the one in pic 2 hanging from the eave, rusty iron wheels, the huge pot planter, etc. There are also fence posts, beams, all sort of things in there to be found and creatively re-invented for the garden. A couple of years ago we had some old split-rail fencing used to separate a utility area under the overhang. I tried a Clem on the corner there, but there wasn't enough root room or light, so I moved it by the old front walk to the left which is never used now, that entrance has been sealed for years. It's doing fairly well, but now that I know what it needs it will have a much better season this year!

J, who's been here since 1978, thinks there may be some wrought iron fence or post pieces in the barn. You can be sure I'll follow that up!

BTW, we welcome visitors!

Pam