Clematis: Clematis in shrubs, 1 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Clematis in shrubs

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Clematis in shrubs
Pfg wrote:
There she is... And are you ever right about noticing the time of bloom. This was early June last year. No Clem could compete with that! I'm thinking the late fall bloomer would be one choice. It used to be called paniculata, then it was changed to something beginning with W that was long and unpronounceable, now I don't know. But it could be nice to have something in the summer, too. Or earlier spring...
In the long view, the other blooms are another matching Rhodie and most else is Dame Rocket (I pull it out after bloom, there's always more next year) and some volunteer Bleeding Hearts that have been there for years.

I'm glad to hear about the Munstead. There used to be much more heft in the shapes in that area and I miss it. You can see in these pics that the lower plantings are quite robust by comparison. Can you believe those hosta?! They put themselves there, who knows how long ago!

I hope my clematis roots are even half as happy as the ones from Louise... But it does seem as if I have that chocolate cake Martha Stewart soil here, too, so if I add all that other good stuff they should do pretty well. Planting them deeply is something I hadn't known about before, but makes perfect sense once you explained it.

Pam