Clematis: Clematis in shrubs, 2 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Clematis in shrubs

Forum: Clematis

Back to post
Photo of Clematis in shrubs
pirl wrote:
While I don't know the name of the road that United Housewrecking is on, a phone call would be worth it. Just specify you don't want "estate" garden gates or they'll shock you with prices.

You can pinch yours, then wait for two more leafsets to develop, pinch again and then let it grow.

Here are the roots on a typical Brushwood clematis that I waited awhile to plant. You can compare yours to Brushwood's and if they aren't similar in size then follow Carolyn's advice about repotting for the entire first year. Typically Brushwood's plants are at least a foot tall and all have done well for me.

Walmart sells plastic self-watering pots and my experiment with Japanese irises was exceptionally successful (second photo) so I'd give it a try with the young co-op clem's. The collage shows the difference from June 1, 2011 to April 22, 2012. Now I have two Venosa Violacea clem's from Walmart in one of those pots in the kitchen. They are at least 3' tall already.

I'd leave the contents of the pots to just bone meal, compost, manure and mulch them well. Giving them too much food is not always a good idea since their roots can absorb a limited amount.

Brushwood plants can be planted immediately but, as with all clematises, plant them deeply. Remove any leaves that would be underground and plant them two to three inches deep. Add a stake to direct the growth where you want it. Mulch very well: three inches is good. You don't want the mulch crowding the stems so try for pine needles. They aren't suffocating when wet as some mulches can be.