Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012, 1 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012
perke_patch wrote:
HI Jen. I grow old love letters on a totem where it gets early morning sun and sometimes a bit again in afternoon. It seems to bring out the really brilliant patterning. I have another over the east side of the yard in a totem where it gets couple hours of good morning sun until about 10:30 or so. It seems to love that bit of pure morning sun.

Nev the ae tillandsioides (couldn't remember the exact name last night and didn't feel like trecking downstairs to check so guessed) looks like a tillandsia but when I collected some seed today and washed it is is definately aechmea seed not till seed. I have lot washed and drying. When I send the seed to you I still have quite a bit of till capitata red and some others we collected so I'll make up a parcel for you to share with your young protegees.

Karen you are right about those couple of plants they are Alan Freeman hybrids and both are in my favourites list of his. they do colour up so nicely when mature. See pic of sweet dreams x painted desert.

Colleen just after my mum died I stumbled across a neo called kathleen which was my mums name. The seller did tell me at the time that it had been registered under another name but I was only interested in it as it was mums name. I had to have it. Several years later I bought a plant called golden king. as I started getting pups off both I realised they were exactly the same. I checked with an old grower who confirmed that kathleen was an unregistered name and it had been registered as golden king. so they are the same plant. I now have plants in the yard some named kathleen and some named golden king. when I pot up pups now I name them golden king and on other side of label I put "aka kathleen" so those buying them know they have a plant known by both names and will not be duped into buying both.

Anyways I still haven't taken pics of my new plants so I will get onto that tomorrow if I can and post them tomorrow night.

Night all
wendy