Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Clematis in shrubs

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Clematis in shrubs
pirl wrote:
Such lovely views and photos!

Jackmanii would be noticed and it does get cut to the ground (or 12") each year. This one went over the 9'9" trellis and then over the three compost bins behind it so I'd guess it reached 18'. It does back up to the compost and I'm sure that's the secret for its size.

I'm trying to think of one that would fall and Helsingborg (purple) is the only one I can think of now but perhaps Rooguchi (also purple) would droop down but in the shade purple won't be noticed. At some point they will stop trying to go upwards so select your color and go hunting. Just don't allow it to get into the shrubs. A simple twist tie (not too tight) tied to a stake that leans forward should be all the encouragement it needs to droop.

Helsingborg does not get cut back so be sure to look at group 3's. Try Brushwood for looking and buying. They really are terrific plants. Here's the link: http://www.brushwoodnursery.com/clematis_jackmanii.htm Other clem's can be found by using the left side of the link and selecting what you'd like to have...small flowered, large flowered, etc. There are many companies that sell clematis but I've had the best from Brushwood.