Clematis: Clematis in shrubs, 2 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: Clematis in shrubs

Forum: Clematis

Back to post
Photo of Clematis in shrubs
Pfg wrote:
Thanks, Pirl. I've been admiring your gardens for a long time.

As it happens, at our place planting toward the south and east are the most advantageous for the best viewing. I thought I'd use the ones that get cut back hard, the ones that bloom on new wood, for at least 2 of the big box shrubs. They get pruned only once in the season, in the spring, so that should work out all right.

I love a pretty trellis-Pirl, yours is gorgeous! Arbors are wonderful, we actually have one near the entrance, and I have plans for it. There is also a south facing house wall I can use. Unfortunately it's the least noticed area in the whole place. The main part of our garden is an extension of the house from the inside. I love working on that picture, and have been slowly finding my way with it. I do also love it that when you turn the corner to the big view it takes your breath away. I can't imagine trying to breaking that up, but in a way it is limiting. We have so much going on already with the different levels, stone walls, the big barrel, and now there's a birdbath I put in the middle of the smaller daylily bed last fall (pic 1).

So I guess the dilemma is, if I start collecting clematis, I want to see them, I want them to be admired by people who will notice them more from inside the house than out. I want them to get more attention than they will on the short walk from the driveway to the house. Once the greetings are done with, the first glass of wine poured, someone drifts to the window to get another look at the view, and says, wow! What is that amazing flower? So it's a tall order, I think.

I've been looking at lots of pictures on this forum and elsewhere, and realize that there are many ways to use Clem's as part of the borders. There are lots of places where I'd like a little height in the garden. Some of the less vigorous types could be perfect. So please keep the ideas coming!

Is there one that would drape down from the barrel in pic 2? Or would it rather grow up into the trees? There's no room for the roots on the ledge it sits on, so I can't have one climbing up. The Virginia Creeper manages, but I have no idea how!

Pam