Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012, 1 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012
perke_patch wrote:
One thing Karen....... off with his head. He WILL chew your broms sooner or later so get in first. If you are after nids Karen, I have quite a few different ones here. when you come for your vr saundersii seedlings you can grab a few.

Wow Colleen what a haul. the little variegated one in bottom left of first picture catches my eye. and in the other box there is a variegated one too. can you tell me what they are? wonder if they are Nev's seedlings. Love the litte variegated ones.

Nev a friend brought me a few ae rubens seeds today and we discovered our own rubens has seed on it so if you want some of them let me know. I'll send them with the noetigii. I'll do a deal with you. I've got those other portea on the way already so if you grow the noetigii and get a good take from them we can swap in the future. I don't have room to grow too many of each so just a couple of each will be plenty really. I'm sure you are in the same boat as us with just a normal houseblock. At least now we can find a lot of the seedlings around our yard. we only have to look for the dots on the pots. I actually located quite a few this week. We are still redoing sections of the gardens. It is so much easier just to remove everything clean the leaves out and then clean up and replace pots. Johnny is becoming so vicious with binning mothers. Trouble is he doesn't know which ones we have lots of and which ones are one of only a few. I've rescued quite a few and repotted and hidden them.

Welcome Jenny. this group is more a bunch a friends chatting and we don't get all in a huff if someone talks about something other than broms. We do share a lot of advice too. EG. as you are more in our area in Brisbane, if we have to use snips to cut a pup off we allow the cut end to dry out for 2 or 3 days before potting. We then seal the end with rooting powder before potting. We especially do this with vriseas and always allow pups several days before potting up. If we don't get around to potting up immediately we have left them in empty pots sitting in trays with a bit of water for several weeks before we get around to potting. We even went away last year and left some pups unpotted and by the time we got home about 5 or 6 weeks later they were well rooted and ready for potting. I especially do this with tillandsais and simply wait for roots to form first before potting up.

Anyway I must be off to do a letter now so I'll end with pics of a couple of plants we discovered in the makeover and forgot we even had. First pic is neo dr dresser x black knight. I think with a bit more light the variegation would be even more defined so we have relocated one pup to a more sunny spot. The other pup went to a friends place today. Hopefully mum with spit out a couple more pups now these two have gone. Pic 2 is another one we found looking great. it is called neo josie. the pup started out heavily striped but I think as the colour develops the stripes blend in a bit more. I thought the colour was stunning so it was a lovely surprise when we lifted it down from a totem.

Night all
Wendy