Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Peonies 2012, part 2

Forum: Peonies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Peonies 2012, part 2
DonnaMack wrote:
Cathy,

No the peonies did not rest. Almost all of them have buds! Probably the most amazing is Lady Alexandra Duff. I planted it in 2005, pulled it out in September 2010 (damaging its roots) did not even pot it until October (the root was in the trunk of my car for several days!), and which is now still in its pot. I didn't expect it to even break dormancy, but look at her in picture 1! I have to plant her. She is larger than last year.

The second picture is Burma Joy, which doubled in height since I pulled it from the pot I put it in in April of last year, and put in the ground this last December.

The third is Lois. Also a much larger plant than before.

So no, most of them did not rest when put in pots. And all of them are bigger than the year before, even with torn roots. Some that did not bloom very well, because of originally being planted poorly (Moonstone) are bigger than they have ever been.

I think that the "rules" we are given are for perfect circumstances. I did not have a choice - I had to move them or lose them. I thought it was probably foolish to move Duff - I did it anyway. Now I have learned just how much abuse peonies can really take. I expected her to be dormant this spring. Now I have to get her into the ground.

As you can imagine, I'm thrilled.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2012 6:42 AM

This message was edited Apr 18, 2012 6:47 AM