Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: New Container Gardening Area, 1 by speediebean

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright speediebean

In reply to: New Container Gardening Area

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of New Container Gardening Area
speediebean wrote:
Aaaaw, thank you Donna! =)

I brought up the idea of the window boxes to DH this past weekend, while we were working on the second bench, but it was lousy timing! Don't ya just hate it when one project doesn't finish the thought process, but instead turns into needing another project done to complete it? Well, that's what happened here. Ya see, as it turns out, I have no vision. Go figure, right? Well, I just simply could NOT tell by looking at that back fence line just HOW horribly sloped the ground is.... I mean, I knew it was sloped, but to what degree, my mind's eye just could not see. Not until that second bench was done and we put everything out there. Both benches AND both trellis planters, AND the bird bath. NOW I can see how EEEEEK it really is. My goodness, this just simply will not do!! Here, take a look at how awful it is!!

Soooo, next on the list will be for me to bring home 4 railroad ties, 2 of which will be cut in half. I'm gonna dig 2 gradually graded trenches, one that will come out 4 feet from the fence on the left side, then one that will go 12 feet across in front of the fence parallel to it. That will create a sort of 4'x12' "bed" in which the benches will sit. Now, in those gradually graded trenches will sit the railroad ties; a 4' piece coming out from the fence, and then another sitting on top of it. Then the full one and half-one, side-by-side in the 12' trench across the front. The other full-length tie and half-tie will sit on top of those, but staggered. That "bed" will get filled in with topsoil, appropriately graded so-as to give a flat(ish) surface, or as much as possible. THEN the benches and stuff can go back into place and should look more normal and not so hideous like it is now.

Meanwhile, one of my Clematises is blooming very happily!! (second picture) I can't WAIT to get all this done and get 'em planted out back!! I found out from Boss-Man yesterday that he'll be glad to cut them for me, which is a big help in carrying them from the truck to the back yard when the time comes. So, I'll purchase them today and let Boss-Man know that he's got until tomorrow to get them cut, heeheeheee. No rush, mind you. ;)

The project marches on.....