Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Bulbs: Squirrel Mischief?, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Squirrel Mischief?

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Squirrel Mischief?
DonnaMack wrote:
Here is another tulip bed. Same plants, with the addition of impatiens balsamina, which you can direct sow by simply pushing seeds into the surface of the soil. Again, color into the fall when you put the tulips back. The verbena b and nikkis self sow, as does some of the garden balsam each year.

And, by the way, I dig up my glads the way I do my tulips - pull them up, dry them off, treat them with some sulphur, and put them in brown paper lunch bags in the basement. They actually start sprouting there, and then I put them back in the ground.

The gladiolus still coming up in the bed is Good News, which I strongly recommend. It multiplies over time, like Matchpoint. Here is Good News in another location, so you can see how lovely it is.

My point in all this is that you can inexpensively create really wonderful displays quite inexpensively. It is clear that Leawood, in particular, has created what is in effect a magnificent display garden. These steps can cut the cost and yes, give you more control.