Photo by Melody

Specialty Gardening: I would like your thoughts on xeriscaping this yard., 1 by daves_not_here

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright daves_not_here

In reply to: I would like your thoughts on xeriscaping this yard.

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I would like your thoughts on xeriscaping this yard.
daves_not_here wrote:
Thank you all for your responses. It must have been in the cacti and succulent forum where I added that my Dad lives in San Diego. Pretty big difference from Vegas.

I'm not sure what he was planning to do with the grass. His first instinct would be to cut it out. Almost like sod if possible. One issue of laying down cardboard and topping would be the increase in elevation. I know in the heaviest rains the patio floods. It doesn't happen often. Maybe every 5-10 years. When that happens the water must run along the south side of the house to the street in front. It would be a good idea to trench a drain out past the yard when does the project.

Ogrejelly, what kinds of birds do you have and could you send him some? If left alone, I'm convinced that each and every seed would sprout. Raking the seeds/leaves and mowing the lawn was my job growing up. I was always pulling small trees out of the ground. I felt like Paul Bunion. Without the blue Ox.

I'll warn him about the tree roots, whichever way he goes. Also it's not looking like he'll do it this year. He'll be busy with work in April. In May we're going to Key West for my brother in law's retirement ceremony. He might start in June, but he hasn't talked about it.

I'll keep you all posted when anything happens. Or if we have more questions.

Thanks to you all, David