Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012, 1 by DawnSong

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DawnSong

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012
DawnSong wrote:
Nev, no wonder your friend bought the lot. What a bundle of beaty there. I love the ones in your previous post as well, but Neo. Meyendorffii 'Red Striata' really stands out for me with its creamy gold backing and red stripes.

Shirley, I find wandering through Wendy's a little overwhelming. I want everything I see, but have to consider size, amount of space it would take, etc. I usually leave suffering brom intoxication..........mmmmmmmmmm....what a way to go!

MyaC, lovely to see you joining in. Most times I don't have a lot to show, but sometimes I have a lot to say :). Plus I love the pics posted, oh, I love the pics. And the group is so friendly. Nev is so helpful. Its part of my morning routine, coming in to see what's new.

Hi Colleen. Have a lovely day. I guess its getting cooler there now.

Nev, my racinaea fraseri pups are now at least 2 years old, but showing no signs of spiking at all. The original plant was a seedling, and it was either 12 or 15 years before it flowered. Then it got its first pup, which I left attached. The mother died and the pup flowered in 2 years. And that has been the procedure since, until now. Last time the mother pupped, I removed the pup, and she had another one which I also removed. She then died. But the pups, though quite large and mature, are showing no signs of flowering at all. Seems this is a long time to be waiting for the plant to propagate. The pup doesn't come until the mother flowers, and the seedlings take so long to mature. Is this normal for this plant?

An old photo of racinaea fraseri I've shown before, but just putting it in as a reminder.

Karen

This message was edited Apr 3, 2012 3:12 PM