Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS APRIL 2012
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Well the sun is shining and I woke up this morning to the beautiful sound of Magpies warbling; wow it’s great to be Australian!

MyaC – Well and here’s me thinking you were a newbie, oh well, foot in the mouth again; that’s nothing unusual for me. The last I heard of Sue was that they were planning a trip around Australia. I don’t know if she’s left yet or maybe she’s just “lurking” on the sidelines.

Shirley – The Vriesea saundersii seedlings do seem to be a bit slower growing than Neo’s, Aechmeas and Bill’s etc., but they are pretty tough and have been shade house grown beneath 75% shade cloth so should be hardened off and not “touchy” like ones grown in glass houses under controlled conditions.

As for a potting mix, I would just use equal parts of fine bark and Coco Peat down here in Shellharbour but up where you are I would suggest you speak to some local growers for advice for a suitable mix for your area.

I’m sure you’ll be most impressed with Neo. ‘Old Love Letters’ when it colours up as it’s a beautifully coloured Neo when grown in adequate light.

I’ll finish again with a few pic’s, firstly a group of ten plants I was getting ready to take to the Bromeliad Society Sales Table on Saturday, that is until a friend bought the lot! The second pic.is Neo Mini Meyendorfii variegata, 3rd is Neo Mini Meyendorfii, 4th is quite a large 'radial red' called Neo. 'Nina Rehak' and pic five is Neo 'Nobel Descent Too'.

All the best, Nev.