Orchids: Orchid ID and care info needed, 1 by plexippus

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright plexippus

Subject: Orchid ID and care info needed

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Orchid ID and care info needed
plexippus wrote:
I was at an estate sale and picked up two types of orchids. The previous owner had a greenhouse with numerous types of orchids and had obviously really been into them. I have other epis; hoyas and epi cacti but I have no experience with orchids but couldn't resist picking up these two.

The first one with the long stems had a broken tag in the pot that looks like is says dendrobium. It is kind of hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it is totally beyond root bound. Can anyone ID the genus and give me some basic care tips such as light, watering frequency, and fertilizing frequency? If it should be re-potted it looks like there are at least 3 separate plants should I break them apart and pull off any dead looking stuff?

The second plant with the pseudobulb did not have a tag. Any idea on the genus and tips on basic care would be appreciated. This one looks root bound but not as bad as the other one. It is kind of hard to tell from the pictures but does it look like it needs re-potting at this point?

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 3:48 PM