Photo by Melody

Orchids: Chids going rafting - thoughts?, 2 by dyzzypyxxy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dyzzypyxxy

In reply to: Chids going rafting - thoughts?

Forum: Orchids

Back to post
Photo of Chids going rafting - thoughts?
dyzzypyxxy wrote:
Here's my raft project in situ. I still may move it around a bit on the branch to get just the right light hitting the plants, but these pics were taken at 12:30 today so pretty much max sunlight and they are in a nice dappled shade.

The garland of Spanish moss fell across the branch a few days after I placed the plants, so took it as an omen, and made use of it. Once the tree finishes leafing out, I may remove it. Still, it might provide some insulation for winter, too. I can remove it for the summer, and replace it when the nights start getting cold, I suppose.

There are 4 plants up there, each in a little coco fiber envelope. They've all put out new roots and one has a spike since I hung them up there, so it looks like they are happy! The ugly bamboo pole is just a temporary mount for the mister that will keep them happy while we are away. I'm hanging the rest of the Brassavola collection under there, too so they'll all get misted nicely while we're away. My David Sander has two spikes!